1999 Extended Tirage Brut
33% Oregon Pinot Noir, 67% Oregon Chardonnay, Sparkling Wine
Knudsen Vineyards, Hyland
Dundee Hills AVA, Willamette Valley, Oregon
Wine Spectator Top 100 Wines of 2009 - #18
1999 Extended Tirage Brut Tasting Notes
Welcome back to the New Millennium! Here’s your chance to get it right (or better) a second time! I bet we all remember what we were up to in 1999. This is a late harvested beauty of a sparkling wine. The aromas are complex, yet fresh and leap out of the flute. Look for fresh and baked pear, juicy red apple, and hints of bright citrus fruit like Meyer lemon and grapefruit. Ten years of aging has imparted aromas of freshly roasted hazelnut, citrus peel, lovely vanilla blossom and honey spice. Rounding out these scents are touches of yeasty goodness from Pain de campagne and fresh-baked biscuit. The flavor is especially rich and creamy with lemon/grapefruit citrus, Anjou pear and Cameo apple fruit. Melon and vanilla spice lay upon a stony mineral structure. The finish is fresh baguette and caramelized sugar creaminess that is long, vibrant, and shows the added persistence that late harvested (October/November) Chardonnay and Pinot Noir can bring.
Wine Scores and Reviews for Extended Tirage Brut
- 1999: Wine Spectator 95 - Highly Recommended "Elegant, with very fine bubbles and complex spice, coffee, pear and toast aromas and flavors that are poised against lacy acidity and refined structure, letting the flavors sail on and on with finesse. Drink now. - HS"
- 1999: Wine Spectator Top 100 Wines of 2009 - #18
- 1998: Wine Spectator 95 "Haunting stuff, ethereal in texture, with amazingly delicate bubbles that carry wave after wave of rich toast, spice and baked apple flavors, persisting on the elegant finish. This one has harmony, intensity and refinement. Drink now. From Oregon. - HS"
- 1998: Wine Spectator Top 100 Wines of 2008 - #17
- 1997: Wine Spectator - 2007 Top 100 Wines of the Year (#25 of 100) "The highest-scoring sparkling wine ever produced by a U.S. winery!"
- 1997: Wine Spectator "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" 94 "A stunner. Still fresh after 10 years. Pear, apple and orange marmalade flavors weave through a delicate structure and flavor profile with distinct toastiness. It's the freshness that makes this elegant sparkler special. Drink now. - HS"
- 1995: Wine Spectator 90