2010 Nuthouse Chardonnay
Lone Star Vineyard
Eola-Amity Hills AVA, Oregon
2010 Nuthouse Chardonnay Tasting Notes
The 2010 Nuthouse Chardonnay embodies and old-world elegance. It pulls you in with complexity and nuance, with a nose of toasted hazelnuts, rock melon, and flinty gunpowder notes. The nose doesn't quite prepare the drinker for the bright crispness of the palate, refreshing and clean. Flavors of quince, lemon custard, and a zest of minerality akin to wet limestone holds the acidity on the finish of the palate. It's this cool-climate acidity that makes this wine a perfect companion at the dinner table. While fresh and enticing now, this wine promises to build mid-palate richness with time in the bottle to yield a truly sublime experience.
Wine Scores and Reviews for 2010 Nuthouse Chardonnay
- 2009: Wine Advocate 91 "Argyle’s 2009 Chardonnay Nuthouse exhibits aromas of ripe pear, melon, baking spices, and hazelnuts. In the glass it displays excellent acidity, savory flavors, and a voluptuous personality. Nicely balanced and lengthy, it will provide pleasure over the next 5-6 years if not longer. I tasted a range of older Chardonnays during my Argyle visit and it seems clear that my aging estimate is on the conservative side." - Jay Miller
- 2007: Wine Spectator 92 - Highly Recommended "Bright and lively, delivering a silky-textured mouthful of pear, grapefruit and cream aromas and flavors, lingering with a hint of walnut on the refined finish. Drink now through 2012." - HS
- 2007: Wine Advocate 92 "The 2007 Chardonnay Nuthouse exhibits a lovely perfume of baking spice, toast, mineral, hazelnut, and tropical aromas. Creamy textured and vibrant on the palate reflecting the natural acidity achievable in 2007, it has a zingy core of fruit, intense flavors, and lengthy, pure finish. It has the balance to drink well for at least a decade much like the 1999." - JM
- 2006: Wine Spectator 90 ""Soft, supple and spicy, with a glowing core of pear at the center and hints of balsamic and cardamom around the edges. The finish lingers smoothly. Drink now through 2010." - HS
- 2006: San Francisco Chronicle TOP 100 WINES OF 2008 "Winemaker Rollin Soles sources his top Chardonnay from the Knudsen Vineyard, also the site of his single-vineyard sparkling wine. A richer style that models its Oregon elegance, with seamless oak that helps define the creamy texture. Bright and lively, with ripe pear, green apple skin, lemon peel and a mineral-driven finish."
- 2006: San Francisco Chronicle 3 Stars (Excellent) "2006 Argyle Nuthouse Reserve Series Willamette Valley Chardonnay ($30) Made from 100 percent Dijon clones, this wine is a richer-style Chardonnay that still retains its Oregon subtlety and elegance. The well-integrated oak provides creamy texture and lovely structure. Bright and lively, there's ripe pear, green apple skin, lemon peel and a mineral-driven finish."
- 2005: Wine Spectator 91 "Light and refined, appealing for the spicy, creamy overtones to the refreshing core of pear and apple fruit, persisting gently on the polished finish. Drink now through 2009. 2000 cases made."
- 2003: Wine Spectator 89 "Smooth and generous, a bit reduced but appealing for its effulgent pear and spice flavors, lingering gently on the well-wrought finish. Graceful. Drink now through 2010. 928 cases made. -HS"