2010 Nuthouse Pinot Noir
Oregon Pinot Noir
Lone Star Vineyard
Eola-Amity Hills AVA
2010 Nuthouse Pinot Noir Tasting Notes
A deep, almost maroon, magenta color on this 2010 Nuthouse Pinot Noir speaks to the richness in the glass. This wine has a strong affinity to the Pacific Northwest with notes of bilberry, red raspberry, black cherry cordial, Douglas fir bark, and a hint of forest floor. There is a cool, darkness in a palate leaning toward the black fruits – Damson plum, blackberry, black currant, and blackcap. Texturally, the 2010 Nuthouse Pinot Noir is soft, but with generous tannins and a round mouth-feel where deftly handled oak integrates with the fruit profile harmoniously. This wine is youthful and still has much to offer with aging that will bring out a host of tertiary characteristics over the next decade.
Wine Scores and Reviews for Nuthouse Pinot Noir
- 2009: Wine Spectator 91 "Light and vibrant, this is juicy with cherry and raspberry fruit, picking up a floral note as the finish lingers enticingly. Drink now through 2017." - Harvey Steiman
- 2008: Wine Spectator 92 "Light and distinctive for its slightly candied currant and guava flavors, picking up an attractive lime blossom note as the finish lingers effortlessly. Drink now through 2018." - Harvey Steiman
- 2008: Wine Advocate 92 "The 2008 Pinot Noir Nuthouse is scheduled for release in Spring 2011. It sports an impressive aromatic array of wood smoke, Asian spices, incense, and assorted black fruits. Elegant on the palate, it manages to cram loads of spicy fruit into its medium-bodied frame. With outstanding volume, balance, and length, it merits 3-4 years of cellaring and will be in its prime from 2013 to 2023." - Jay Miller
- 2007: Wine Spectator 90 "Light on its feet, this offers ripe blueberry and raspberry fruit, with shades of white pepper and floral notes, finishing with a mild grip of tannins and plenty of length. Drink now through 2014. Tasted twice, with consistent notes." - Harvey Steiman
- 2006: Wine Advocate 92 "The 2006 Pinot Noir Nuthouse reflects the opulence so easily achievable in the problem-free 2006 vintage. Dark ruby-colored, this is a large-scaled, full-bodied Pinot with gobs of flavor and a voluptuous, sexy personality. Enjoy it over the next 6-8 years." - Jay Miller
- 2006: Wine Spectator 92 "Smooth and spicy, with a floral edge to the plum and cinnamon flavors, nicely integrated and lingering nicely against refined tannins. Drink now through 2014." - Harvey Steiman
- 2006: SF Chronicle Top 100 "Winemaker Rollin Soles sources his top Chardonnay from the Knudsen Vineyard, also the site of his single-vineyard sparkling wine. A richer style that models its Oregon elegance, with seamless oak that helps define the creamy texture. Bright and lively, with ripe pear, green apple skin, lemon peel and a mineral-driven finish."
- 2005: Wine Advocate 94 "The Nuthouse cuvee is released a year behind the other Pinots. The 2005 Pinot Noir Nuthouse is one of the major successes of a challenging vintage. It has a slightly aged appearance and is exhibiting an alluring perfume of spice, red fruits, and blueberry. On the mid-palate it has a wide band of fruit atypical for 2005. It has the structure of the vintage so it may well evolve for 4-5 years and drink well through 2020. It is a home run for the vintage."
- 2005: Wine Spectator 93 "Bright, effusive and generous with its raspberry, red cherry, nutmeg and cream flavors, lingering impressively on the polished finish. This jumps out of the glass, not for its size or any single element, but for its seamlessness and focus. Drink now through 2013." - Harvey Steiman